Sunday, September 9, 2012

Life Chapter 2 - College

College is the midpoint between being on your own and being at home with your parents. Here you're on your own, but the college atmosphere helps place everything you could possibly need or want within reach if you're willing to reach out and grab it.

Studying hard with Hannah and Jeremy
The classes get harder, no doubt. Class time is for speedily jotting notes and meeting your future study buddies who you'll do the real learning with. I'm trying to get used to doing my learning on my own instead of in class, but it's a rough transition. Time management is a huge part of that. In high school, school was like an 8-3 job and once I left I did a little homework and was done with "school" for the day. Here, it's constant. Class is not even half of what constitutes the education of a college. Outside of class there are many extracurriculars, jobs, and social activities to choose from. This freedom and openness has been awesome. I get to choose what I want to do and when I want to do it. This week however, my classes are starting to be a bit more demanding, so the stress of the time management is about to set in. This stress put my creativity through the blender at some point this weekend, so the blog entry was a nice warm up to the English paper I have due Friday. On the plus side I like my professors. They have higher degrees than my high school teachers and therefore deserve higher respect. That, I admit, makes them seem a little more scary and a little less approachable, but I think it will work out.
Highschool State Climbing in CO

Though I do enjoy my classes (and some of the assignments seem useful), what I really am enjoying in college is outside of class. I admit I enjoy being a social butterfly. The availability of friends (because we're all living here) is a great thing for me. I can study with my friends, or take opportunities to dress up pretty and go socialize with friends on weekends. Also, as a climber I've gotten into the habit of climbing 3 or 4 times a week. It's stress relieving and let's my body work for a while instead of my brain.

The overall atmosphere of college is welcoming. I'm settling into a routine and enjoying the perks of college. I love how intelligent the conversations are and how diverse the faces are. The stories and personalities I've heard and seen are exciting and new, and I feel like I finally fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment